"Never forget that the most powerful force on earth is love."-Nelson Rockefeller

Friday, February 4, 2011

February 4, 2011-First Post Day

Hey Everyone!
This is my first post on Love Always Remembers-Alzheimer's Support Blog, so I guess I can say a little about myself so that who ever follows this blog will realize that I am a real person with real feelings and what-not.
First off, My name is Makenzie and I am 14 years old. I play piano, twirl batons, and love love LOVE to read. (Don't tell anyone, but I actually really like school too. haha.) I also am involved in the Miss America's Oustanding Teen Pageants. Now, before  you go and think, "Oh, she's that cliche pageant girl type." Well, I'm actually not. I am in this pageant system for more than just winning a crown. One of my main reasons is to promote my platform, "Don't Forget How To Remember"-A Fight for a Cure for Alzheimer's. I created this page as a support group for people having a hard time coping with the realization that their family member or friend has Alzheimer's. I know I needed something like this.
Alzheimer's. One big scary word, isn't it? Forgetting your husband. Forgetting to eat. Forgetting to use the bathroom. Forgetting HOW to use the bathroom. Forgetting your wedding day. The birth of your child. Your first kiss. Your brothers and sisters. Forgetting your daughter, son, grandchild, bestfriend, etc. It's horrific. AND its real. You can't wake up from this nightmare. As of today, there is no cure.
Now you must be thinking, why in the WORLD would a 14 year old teenage girl want to promote this? This probably doesnt even affect her.
Well it might not in the sense that you think it does. But it affects someone who I love very dearly.
My Nana.
She was diagnosed with Alzheimer's almost two years ago. It has hit our family hard.
My grandmother, who loved her family. Who would do anything in the world for us. Who quit smoking just because I was born. Who when I wrecked a Polaris Ranger on top of me, helped get it off of me.
That's my Nana.
She was such a loving person.
And now she doesn't remember any of that. She doesn't remember any of us.
Just the other day, she asked where she knew me from. I stood there, stunned, not knowing what to say. I could barely squeak out, "Makenzie, your granddaughter."
You know what she replied? "Oh, it's just because you've grown so much!"
This summer, we were school clothes shopping. She came up to me and asked me where I was going to go to college this next year. I'm in 9th grade.
Well enough of my stories. The reason I created this page was for all of us family members and friends of a loved one affected with Alzheimer's to be able to talk about our feelings and hopefully gain support and trust from someone else who's dealing with the same thing. Hopefully I can be a guiding light to someone. I pray that I can be that.
So NOW it's your turn. I would love to hear your stories. How has this disease affected you? How are you coping with it?
I pray that one day, every single person will realize how harmful this disease is.
I hope that by reading my trials and struggles and with my posts on new Alzheimer's research, you can find refuge.
I ask one thing, help promote this page. I want everyone to know about it.
I'm here for you, and hopefully after you read my posts for the next years to come, you will realize that you are NOT ALONE.

Thanks y'all-
Makenzie :)

3 comments:

  1. Thank you Makenzie for sharing your journey with others. Nana would be so proud of you! It has always been her purpose to help others. This is exactly what she would want! I love you so very much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Makenzie, I'm sorry you, your Nana, and the family are going through this. I have not personally felt this pain but know of a family who has. I was friends of a family many years ago, who's mom had Alzheimer's. This woman's daughter writes a blog that chronicles their struggles along with her walk in the Christian life. She gives reviews on books that have helped her to understand it more. I thought you and your family might be interested to see the blog. The name of the blog is "Lisa Notes" and it is on blogspot so I think it's www.lisanotes.blogspot.com. Your family is in my prayers.
    Mrs. Sockwell (Pinecrest)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Makenzie,

    I have never met you before, but I have heard a lot about you from your Aunt Laura. I am your Uncle Barry’s cousin, Donna Oxley. I live in Nashville, and my husband’s father has been battling Alzheimer’s for about 10 years. We know all too well the struggles and heartbreak of this horrible disease. I think what your are doing to help raise awareness is so incredible and such a beautiful way to honor your Nana. She would be so proud of you. I will tell our family and friends about your blog. You are an amazing, talented young lady, and I know your family is so proud of you.

    Blessings,

    Donna Oxley

    ReplyDelete